Saturday, January 24, 2009

Friday, January 23, 2009

Dropped Jack off at school and headed to campus. I graded a stack of essays and put together some questions for my students to answer as they peer reviewed one another's papers in class. While they worked on that, I downloaded software and did a test run on the audience response system I've been wanting to use. It worked! I picked Jack up at school, we met Roger at his parents' house, then headed to scout headquarters to pick up a cub scout shirt for Jack. I have long known that if I pushed scouts (which I already have very mixed feelings about) on Jack that he'd push back hard. So while I've made him go to cub scout meetings in support of his friends and leaders, I've never made him wear a uniform or earn awards. But I always told him that if he decided he wanted a shirt, we'd get him one straightaway. After pack meeting on Wednesday, he announced he wanted a shirt. The errand cost us more than $75 (neckerchief and slide, belt, shirt, patches, book, and then stuff for Webelos because he'll be 10 in a few months). But he is SO excited. We had a wedding reception to go to tonight (good friends, art museum, big band for dancing). He asked if he could where his scout uniform. Why not? We had a fun time at the party. I made Roger dance with me once. And Jack asked me to dance, and we danced three times! Now there's a reward for mom!

No comments: